A global leader in interventional pulmonology, planning tools, and treatments for obstructive lung disease.
Based in Redwood City, California, and Neuchâtel, Switzerland, Pulmonx is the maker of the Zephyr Endobronchial Valve. The Zephyr® Valve was granted breakthrough status and approved by the FDA in June 2018, because according to the FDA it “represents a breakthrough technology as the device offers bronchoscopic lung volume reduction without surgery and its associated risks. This device offers a significant, clinically meaningful advantage over the current standard of care and therefore, its availability is also in the best interest of patients.”20
The company’s commercially available portfolio includes the Zephyr Endobronchial Valve. More than 100 scientific articles have been published on the clinical benefits of Zephyr Valves, including multiple meta-analyses, review articles, cost-effectiveness analyses and risk-benefit analyses. It also includes:
The Zephyr Valve
The Zephyr Endobronchial Valve is an implantable device used to occlude all airways feeding the hyperinflated lobe of a lung that is most diseased with emphysema.
StratX® Lung Analysis Platform
A cloud-based quantitative computed tomography (CT) analysis service that provides information on emphysema destruction, fissure completeness, and lobar volume to help identify target lobes for the Zephyr Valve treatment.
The Chartis® Pulmonary Assessment System
A proprietary balloon catheter and console provides precise flow and pressure readings for specific lobes in the lung to assess absence of collateral ventilation.
This combination of assessment tools and therapeutics enables physicians to successfully predict outcomes and provide optimal treatment for each individual patient.
Meeting an Unmet Need
COPD refers to a group of lung diseases characterized by obstruction of airflow that interferes with normal breathing.
- In 2015, it affected approximately 175 million patients and was responsible for 3.2 million deaths globally.26
- In the United States, COPD is the third leading cause of death and affected approximately 16 million Americans as of 2013.27
- COPD is expected to be associated with approximately $49 billion in direct medical costs in 2020.28
- Emphysema, a form of COPD, is a debilitating and life-threatening disease that progressively destroys lung tissue, resulting in a diminishing ability to breathe and engage in the most basic daily activities, leading to a high mortality rate.29
- The lung damage caused by emphysema is irreversible.29
- As of 2018, approximately 3.8 million patients in the United States were diagnosed with emphysema,31 of which roughly 1.5 million have severe emphysema.32
Clinically Proven Results
Used together, these technologies have been clinically proven to improve pulmonary function, exercise capacity, and quality of life in emphysema patients across multiple randomized controlled trials and in more than 19,000 patients worldwide since 2007.
The Zephyr Valve treatment is included in emphysema treatment guidance documents issued by leading health organizations worldwide, including the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD)9-10 and the UK’s National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).11
The company is invested in building further clinical evidence across patient phenotypes to support the use of its technologies.
Pulmonx products are commercially available in Europe, United States, Australia, Asia, Latin America, and other countries worldwide.